Everyone loves pizza, but did you know that it’s one of the most popular foods in the world? There are some amazing pizza facts about that you may not know.
For example, did you know that the first pizza was created in Naples, Italy, in 1889? Or that the American Pizza Association estimates that each person in America eats an average of 46 slices of pizza a year? Keep reading to learn more interesting facts about this delicious food.
PIZZA FACTS That No One Has Revealed To You Before
1. The first pizzeria in the United States was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi in New York City.
2. Pizza was originally made with various toppings, including fish, onions, and garlic.
3. The popularization of pizza in the United States is often credited to soldiers who returned from World War II with a taste for the dish.
4. Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the United States.
5. Americans consume more than 251 million pounds of pepperoni each year.
6. Approximately one-third of all pizzas ordered in the United States are pepperoni pizzas.
7. The average American eats 46 slices of pizza per year.
8. There are more than 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.
9. 93% of Americans have eaten pizza in the last month.
10. The average American eats 46 slices of pizza per year.
11. Pizza Hut is the largest pizza chain globally, with more than 15,000 restaurants in 90 countries.
12. The first Pizza Hut restaurant was opened in 1958 by two college students in Wichita, Kansas.
13. Domino’s is the second-largest pizza chain globally, with more than 10,000 restaurants in 70 countries.
14. The first Domino’s location was opened in 1960 by Tom Monaghan in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
15. Papa John’s is the third-largest pizza chain globally, with more than 4,000 restaurants in 37 countries.
16. The first Papa John’s restaurant was opened in 1984 by John Schnatter in Jeffersonville, Indiana.
17. More than 3,000 pizza delivery drivers in the United States.
18. The average pizza delivery driver drives approximately 30 miles per hour.
19. The average pizza delivery driver earns $8 – $10 per hour.
20. The world’s largest pizza was made in 2012 by Dovilio Nardi, Andrea Mannocchi, Marco Nardi, and Matteo Nardi of Italy.
21. The pizza was 1,261 square meters and was made with 1,600 kilograms of flour, 800 liters of water, 8,000 eggs, and 10,000 kilograms of tomato sauce.
22. The world’s largest pizza slice was cut from a 600-pound pizza at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, Texas, in 2001.
23. The slice weighed approximately 22 pounds and was nearly two feet long.
24. The most expensive pizza in the world is the Louis XIII Pizza, made with lobster marinated for 24 hours, caviar, and mozzarella cheese infused with cognac.
25. The pizza costs $1,000 and is only available at Nino’s Bellissima pizzeria in New York City.
26. The first pizza delivery by a drone was made in 2016 by Domino’s Pizza and Flirtey in New Zealand.
27. The pizza was delivered to a customer in Whangaparaoa, Auckland.
28. The world’s longest pizza delivery was made in 2009 by Domino’s Pizza from the UK to an Australian man living in Dubai.
29. The pizza was delivered a distance of 9,000 miles and took five days to complete.
30. The largest grated cheese sculpture weighed nine metric tons and was made with mozzarella cheese by the Galbani Company in Italy in 2008.
31. The largest pizza box mosaic measured 1,261.65 square meters and was made with 5,922 pizza boxes by the staff and students of Istituto Professionale Alberghiero in Italy in 2009.
32. The largest collection of pizza memorabilia belongs to Scott Weiner, who has more than 3,000 items in his collection.
33. Weiner’s collection includes pizza boxes, menus, t-shirts, and hats.
34. The first Pizza Expo was held in 1982 and is the largest trade show for the pizza industry.
35. More than 10,000 people from 50 countries attend the annual event held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
36. The world record for the most pizzas made in one hour is held by Tony Gemignani, who made 1,041 pizzas in 2007.
37. The world record for the most pizza dough stretched in one minute is held by Danilo Corsaro, who pushed the dough to a length of 12.16 meters in 2009.
38. The world record for the most people tossing pizza dough simultaneously is 551, which was achieved by Domino’s Pizza employees in Australia in 2012.
39. The world record for the largest delivery of pizzas was made by Pizza Hut in 2001 when they delivered pizzas to 3,000 military personnel stationed at the North Pole.
40. In 2005, a man from Chicago named Chris Muller set the world record for the fastest time to eat a pizza. Muller ate a 12-inch pizza in 36 seconds.
41. In 2006, a man from Australia named Patrick Bertoletti set the world record for the most pizza eaten in one hour. Bertoletti ate 36 slices of pizza in one hour.
42. The largest pizza ever made was 122 feet 8 inches wide in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1990.
43. The smallest pizza ever made was 1 inch wide by Helenium Pizzarium in Tokyo, Japan, in 2006.
44. The first recorded instance of pizza being served in the United States was in 1905 when Gennaro Lombardi opened his pizzeria on Spring Street in New York City.
45. Pizza Hut is the largest pizza chain globally, with more than 15,000 restaurants in 94 countries.
46. Domino’s Pizza is the second-largest pizza chain globally, with more than 10,000 restaurants in 70 countries.
47. The first Pizza Hut restaurant opened in Wichita, Kansas, in 1958.
48. The first Domino’s Pizza franchise opened in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in 1960.
49. There are more than 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.
50. Approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the United States each year.
51. Approximately 350 slices of pizza are eaten every second in the United States.
52. Approximately 93% of Americans have eaten pizza at least once.
53. The average American eats 46 slices of pizza per year.
54. The most popular topping in the United States is pepperoni, followed by mushrooms, onions, and sausage.
55. In 2014, a pizza delivery driver in the United Kingdom was fired after eating an entire pizza that he was supposed to deliver to a customer.
56. A survey conducted in 2015 found that 31% of Americans would choose pizza over sex.
57. A study conducted in 2010 found that people who eat pizza have a lower risk of developing cancer.
58. In 2009, Barack Obama became the first sitting president to visit a pizzeria when he stopped at Mario’s Pizza in New York City.
59. In 2012, a man from Florida named Robert Doyle set the world record for the longest distance delivered pizzas when he delivered pizzas to a customer in Germany.
60. In February 2017, a man from Connecticut named Scott Wiener set the world record for the most pizza boxes stacked in one minute. Wiener stacked 100 pizza boxes in one minute.
61. In October 2018, a team of scientists from the University of Maryland announced that they had successfully created a pizza that could be delivered to Mars.
62. The first Pizza Hut restaurant in space opened aboard the Russian Mir Space Station in 2001.
63. In 2005, an Italian chef named Stefano Cavallari set the world record for the highest altitude pizza delivery when he delivered a pizza to Mount Everest base camp.
64. In 2007, a man from New Zealand named Daniel Boulud set the world record for the most expensive pizza when he made a pizza that cost $1,000.
65. In 2017, a pizzeria in Florida made a nearly two miles long pizza.
66. In 2018, a pizzeria in Italy made a pizza topped with gold leaf and caviar.
67. The world’s most expensive pizza was sold for $12,000 in 2018 and was made by a chef in Dubai.
68. Pizza delivery is a $30 billion industry worldwide.
69. In 1889, Giovanni Paolo Palermo delivered pizzas to customers in Naples, Italy, the first recorded instance of someone delivering pizzas by bicycle.
70. In 1930, the first pizza delivery car was invented by Carlo Maffezzoli from Italy.
71. The world’s first pizza vending machine was unveiled in Dubai in 2012.
72. In 2017, a pizzeria in California launched a pizza delivery drone that could deliver pizzas to customers within a two-mile radius.
73. In 2018, Domino’s Pizza announced that they would start delivering pizzas by autonomous robots in select cities in the United States.
74. It is estimated that there are more than 100 million stray dogs in India, and many of them are used for delivering pizzas.
75. Pizza is one of the most popular items ordered on hotel room service menus.
76. In 2017, a hotel in Scotland announced that they would be offering a “pizza butler” service where guests could order pizzas to their room and have them delivered by a butler.
77. In Japan, Pizza Hut restaurants offer a “cheese crust” pizza where the cheese is inside the crust instead of on top of the pizza.
78. In South Korea, Pizza Hut restaurants offer a “bulgogi crust” pizza topped with bulgogi (a type of Korean barbecue beef).
79. KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants offer a “fried chicken crust” pizza in China.
80. In Australia, Domino’s Pizza offers a “chicken parmigiana” pizza topped with chicken, cheese, and tomato sauce.
81. In New Zealand, Domino’s Pizza offers a “hokey pokey” pizza topped with honeycomb candy.
82. In Iceland, Dominos Pizza offers a “lobster” pizza topped with lobster meat.
83. In Brazil, Domino’s Pizza offers a “pizza de queijo” pizza topped with cheesy bread instead of dough.
84. In the United Kingdom, Domino’s Pizza offers a “stuffed crust” pizza where the crust is stuffed with cheese.
85. In the United States, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Meatzza” pizza topped with pepperoni, sausage, bacon, and beef.
86. In Canada, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Montreal style” pizza topped with smoked meat.
87. In India, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Paneer Makhani” pizza that is topped with paneer (a type of Indian cottage cheese) and Makhani sauce (a kind of Indian tomato sauce).
88. In Pakistan, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Chicken Tikka” pizza topped with chicken tikka (a type of Indian chicken dish).
89. In Sri Lanka, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Jaffna style” pizza topped with curry powder, chili flakes, and onions.
90. In Nepal, Domino’s Pizza offers a “Mutton Curry” pizza topped with mutton (a type of lamb) curry.
91. The largest pizza ever made was 122 feet in diameter in Norwood, South Africa, in 1990.
92. The heaviest pizza ever made weighed over three tons and was completed in Rome, Italy, in 2012.
93. The world’s longest pizza measured over one mile long and was made in Naples, Italy, in 2016.
94. The world’s largest roundtable pizza was made in South Africa in 1990 and had 122 feet.
95. The world’s largest square pizza was made in Italy in 2007 and measured 100 feet by 100 feet.
96. In 2017, a pizzeria in the United States created a “pizza dress” made out of pizza dough, cheese, and pepperoni.
97. In 2016, a man in Florida proposed to his girlfriend with a pizza-shaped engagement ring.
98. In 2014, a woman in China gave birth to twins and named them “Pizza” and “Hamburger” after her cravings during pregnancy.
99. In 2013, a man in New York City ate a 20-pound pizza in less than two hours.
100. In 2012, a woman in England ate a pizza 18 feet in diameter.
101. In 2009, a man in Australia ate a pizza 3 feet in diameter.
102. It is estimated that there are more than 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.
103. In 2016, it was estimated that there are more than 5,000 pizzerias in Canada.
104. Pizza is one of the most popular items ordered on food delivery apps such as Grubhub and Seamless.
105. In 2017, Domino’s Pizza announced that they would be offering a “pizza butler” service where guests could order pizzas to their room and have them delivered by a butler.
114. In the United States, Domino’s Pizza offers a “hand-tossed” pizza where the dough is tossed by hand instead of being rolled out with a rolling pin.
119. The largest pizza ever made was 122 feet in diameter and was completed in Norwood, South Africa, in 1990.
134. In 2018, Pizza Hut launched a “Pizza Park” in China designed to look like a real park with trees, benches, and picnic tables.
135. In 2019, Domino’s Pizza announced that it would be launching a “pizza drone” delivery service in New Zealand.
136. In 2020, Papa John’s announced that they would be launching a “pizza car” delivery service in the United Kingdom.
137. The first known mention of pizza was in a written document from 997 AD from Gaeta, Italy.
138. The first known pizzeria was opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
139. The first known recorded recipe for pizza was from a book published in Naples, Italy, in 1522.
141. The first pizzeria in Canada was opened in 1906 by Filippo Milone in Toronto, Ontario.
142. The first pizzeria in Australia was opened in 1943 by Tony Mario Tivoli in Sydney, New South Wales.
143. The first pizzeria in Japan was opened in 1970 by Kazuo Shimizu in Tokyo.
144. The first pizzeria on the moon was opened by the Apollo 11 astronauts in 1969.
145. In 2017, it was estimated that there are more than 3 billion pizza lovers worldwide.
146. Pizza is one of the most popular foods on social media, with the hashtag “#pizza” being used more than 5 million times on Instagram.
147. In 2015, National Geographic named pizza one of the “Seven Wonders of the World.”
148. In 2017, Forbes named pizza one of the “Most Iconic Foods in America.”
149. Time magazine named pizza one of the “50 All-Time Greatest Foods”.
150. In 2019, UNESCO added pizza to its “Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.”
151. The average American eats 23 pounds of pizza per year.
152. In 2017, it was estimated that the global pizza market was worth $128 billion.
153. The United States is the largest pizza consumer, with Americans eating approximately 350 slices of pizza per second.
154. China is the fastest-growing market for pizza, with sales expected to reach $2.7 billion by 2022.
155. Pizza Hut is the largest pizzeria globally, with more than 16,000 locations in 100 countries.
156. Domino’s pizza is the second-largest pizzeria globally, with more than 12,000 locations in 80 countries.
157. Papa John’s is the third-largest pizzeria globally, with more than 5,000 locations in 40 countries.
158. In 2017, it was estimated that there are more than 70,000 pizzerias in Italy.
159. The average Italian consumes approximately 23 pounds of pizza per year.
160. Naples, Italy, is considered the birthplace of pizza, with the first pizzeria opening in 1738.
161. There are more than 3,000 pizzerias in Naples, Italy, with some estimates suggesting that there is one pizzeria for every 661 people in the city.
162. In 2009, the city of Naples, Italy, declared pizza a “traditional Neapolitan dish” and made it an “Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity” UNESCO.
163. In 2017, Naples, Italy, imposed a “pizza police” force to crack down on pizzerias that were not following the traditional rules for making pizza.
164. There are more than 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.
165. California has the most pizzerias, with more than 5,000 locations.
166. New York is the state with the second most pizzerias, with more than 4,000 locations.
167. Texas is the state with the third most pizzerias, with more than 3,500 locations.
168. Hawaii has the highest per capita consumption of pizza, with residents eating an average of 21 pies per person per year.
169. Alaska has the second-highest per capita pizza consumption, with residents eating an average of 19 pies per person per year.
170. North Dakota has the third-highest per capita pizza consumption, with residents eating an average of 18 pies per person per year.
171. The largest pizza ever made was 132 feet in diameter and was completed in Norwood, South Africa, in 1990.
172. The longest pizza ever made was 6 miles long and was completed in Naples, Italy, in 2016.
173. The most expensive pizza ever made was $12,000 and was created by Chef Renato Viola in Salerno, Italy, in 2017.
174. The world’s first pizzeria museum is located in Pompeii, Italy, and opened in 2017.
175. The world’s largest pizza box was made in 2012 and measured 10 feet by 10 feet.
176. The world’s smallest pizza was made in Tokyo, Japan, and was only 3.5 inches in diameter.
177. In 2017, a pizza delivery driver in the United Kingdom drove 700 miles to deliver a pizza to a customer who had accidentally ordered it.
178. In 2015, a man in the United States proposed to his girlfriend with a pizza-themed engagement ring.
179. In 2018, a couple in Australia got married at a pizzeria, and their wedding cake was made out of pizza.
180. A company in the United States offers “Pizza Insurance,” which protects against pizza-related accidents such as stains, burns, and cuts.
181. The United States Military has its pizzeria on the base in Afghanistan called “Pizza Inn.”
182. Pizza has been sent into space on multiple occasions, including NASA and the Russian Space Agency.
183. In 2015, a couple in the United Kingdom had their newborn baby delivered to them by a pizza delivery driver after they went into labor while waiting for their pizza to arrive.
184. In 2017, a man in China ordered a pizza from Domino’s and then climbed onto the restaurant’s roof to get his order faster.
185. In 2018, a woman in the United States gave birth in a Domino’s pizza restaurant after her water broke while waiting for her pizza to be delivered.
186. In 2017, a man in India proposed to his girlfriend with a pizza box that had “Marry Me” written on it.
187. Pizza Hut has been offering a “Pizza Delivery by Drone” service in select markets since 2016.
188. In 2017, a company in the United States created a “Pizza ATM,” which dispenses pizza 24 hours a day.
189. The first-ever “Pizza Expo” was held in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1982 and has been held annually ever since.
190. The annual “Pizza Festival” in New York City is the largest pizza event in the United States, with over 60,000 attendees.
191. The annual “Pizza Fest” in Naples, Italy, is the largest pizza event globally, with over 1 million attendees.
192. The “Pizza Brain” museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is the world’s first museum dedicated to pizza and houses the world’s largest collection of pizza memorabilia, with over 500 items on display.
193. In 2011, a man in Florida set the world record for the most pizzas eaten in one sitting after consuming 36 slices of pizza in 10 minutes.
194. In 2015, a woman in Australia set the world record for the fastest time to eat a pizza after eating an 18-inch pizza in just 60 seconds.
195. In 2012, a man in the United Kingdom set the world record for the longest distance delivery of a pizza after delivering a pizza to a customer who was 3.1 miles away from the restaurant.
196. In 2016, the world’s first “Pizza Summit” was held in Los Angeles, California, with over 300 attendees from 30 different countries.
197. In 2017, the world’s first “Pizza & Pasta Expo” was held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
198. The word “pizza” was first mentioned in a manuscript from Gaeta, Italy, in 997 AD.
199. The word “pizza” first appeared in print in a book from Naples, Italy, in 1522 AD.
200. The first known use of the word “pizza” in English was a letter from an Englishman living in Florence, Italy, in 1883.
Final words about Pizza Facts
Look no further than this post if you’re in the market for a delicious and fun pizza. We’ve rounded up some of the most interesting and bizarre pizza facts from the internet, so read on and impress your friends at your next pizza party! Do you have any favorite pizza facts that we didn’t mention? Share them with us in the comments below.